Want to send Now Playing song data from RCS NexGen to your RDS Encoder, Website, or Streaming Server? MetaRadio makes this possible. This article explains the setup of MetaRadio and RCS NexGen.
For other setup guides, see out MetaRadio Support Site.
- MetaRadio installed on your PC
- RCS NexGen installed on your PC
- Access to an Administrator/Supervisor user account in NexGen
- Network connectivity between NexGen and MetaRadio PCs
Configuring RCS NexGen
RCS NexGen supports exporting Now Playing data from each station. This is configured in the Config > Station > Edit > Format Configuration > Export menu, and runs on the Audio Server for each station.
NexGen sends XML data from your Audio Server, TO MetaRadio on any other networked computer. To achieve this, you must have a TCP Port opened in your firewall between NexGen and MetaRadio. MetaRadio automatically adds a Windows Firewall exception, so you will only need to add a firewall rule if your two computers are on different networks/subnets/VLANs.
To setup NexGen, follow this process:
- Open RCS NexGen on any workstation and login as an Administrator (e.g. ‘Supervisor’)
- Navigate to Config > Station, select your station, and press “Edit”
- In the Format Configuration” section, press the “Export” button
- Of the four Export Formats (tabs across the top of the screen), select one which isn’t already in use.
- Fill out the details as follows:
- Active: True
- Format: XML
- Output: TCP
- Types to Export: Select only ‘Songs’
- Export the next X events: 1
- Truncate milliseconds from Length: True
- IP Address: Enter the name or IP Address of the computer running MetaRadio
- IP Port: Select any unassigned TCP Port Number. Each Station must have its own port number. This will also be mirrored in MetaRadio. If in doubt, enter ‘3601’.
- Standard format Settings:
- Line 1: Title
- Line 2: Artist
- Line 3: Length in Seconds
- Line 4: Song Category
- Line 5: Audio Number
- Line 6: Cut Number
- Line 7: Date
- Line 8: Time
- Line 9: None
- Line 10: None
- Do not enter anything in the “Lead Text” fields
- Save your changes in NexGen and restart the appropriate Audio Server process
That’s it for the NexGen side of things. Now we can move over to the MetaRadio setup.
Configuring MetaRadio to talk to RCS NexGen
- Open MetaRadio Config
- Add a New Station
- Select “Nexgen” from the dropdown menu
- Enter the IP Port Number as specified in RCS Nexgen.
- Enter the Datetime Format for your system.
- Save Station Details, and Save the global settings in the app.
- Restart the main MetaRadio app and confirm NexGen is connected. You should see the TCP Port Number, and information displayed whenever the current on-air song changes.
Now that MetaRadio is receiving data from NexGen, you can configure any outputs (RDS Encoders, Website, Streaming Servers, etc.) as needed.
Get the Broadcast Technology Newsletter
Sign up for the email newsletter about media and technology. Sent irregularly. No spam.