Want to send Now Playing song data from RadioDJ Radio Automation to WordPress, your RDS Encoder, Website, or Streaming Server? MetaRadio makes this possible. This article explains the setup of MetaRadio and RadioDJ.
For other setup guides, see our MetaRadio Support Site.
Configuring RadioDJ to send ‘Now Playing’ Data
RadioDJ can send Now Playing data to MetaRadio using TCP/IP and XML. This is configured using the bundled ‘Now Playing Info‘ plugin in the ‘Plugins’ menu – we have a special XML template for you to use.
RadioDJ sends XML data from your automation computer, TO MetaRadio on any other networked computer. To achieve this, you must have a TCP Port opened in your firewall between RadioDJ and MetaRadio. MetaRadio automatically adds a Windows Firewall exception, so you will only need to add a firewall rule if your two computers are on different networks/subnets/VLANs.
MetaRadio is also able to run on the same computer as RadioDJ.
Here’s how to setup this XML output in RadioDJ:
- Download MetaRadio-RadioDJ.xml, and save it to “C:\RadioDJv2\templates\NowPlaying\MetaRadio-RadioDJ.xml“
- Open RadioDJ
- Open the ‘Configuration’ menu (spanner in the bottom right of the screen)
- Click on the ‘Plugins’ configuration button
- Click on ‘Now Playing Info’, and press ‘Settings’
- Click on the ‘Network’ tab
- Enter the following details to create a new ‘Network’ Now-Playing output
- Enter the IP Address of your computer running MetaRadio (or 127.0.0.1 if it’s on the same PC as RadioDJ)
- Select the protocol “TCP-IP”
- Select the MetaRadio ‘Template File’ you downloaded earlier
- Select an arbitrary TCP port number (the RadioDJ default is ‘21100’)
- Check the “Enable” checkbox
- Press the ‘Save’ icon
- Check the ‘Active’ checkbox at the bottom of the screen
- Save your changes and close all configuration screens
Configuring MetaRadio to talk to RadioDJ
- Open MetaRadio Config
- Add a New Station
- Select “RadioDJIP” from the dropdown menu
- Enter the TCP Port Number you entered into RadioDJ (the RadioDJ default is ‘21100’)
- You can leave the Allowed Asset Types field blank
- Save the Station Details and close the Configuration app
- Restart the main MetaRadio app and confirm MetaRadio is connected. When you next play a song, it should display on the MetaRadio Console
You can now configure your outputs in MetaRadio.
RadioDJ Asset Type Restrictions
MetaRadio allows you to disable ‘Now Playing’ data based on your automation system’s ‘Asset Type’ field. Here is the list of audio asset types in RadioDJ, as seen by MetaRadio. Enter one of these per line in the ‘Allowed Asset Types’ field in MetaRadio Config to limit data to just audio of these types.
If you leave the ‘Allowed Asset Types’ field empty, all audio assets will be recognised by MetaRadio.
Get the Broadcast Technology Newsletter
Sign up for the email newsletter about media and technology. Sent irregularly. No spam.